Happy Groundhog Day everyone!
We’re looking forward to an early Spring this year, as Ontario’s Wiarton Willie and Nova Scotia’s Shubenacadie Sam (groundhogs) both shared with us this morning. Fokelore has it that if the Groundhogs are greeted by a shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter ahead. In the spirit of Groundhog day, we’re sharing 10 Groundhog day fun facts!
- The largest and most famous celebration for Groundhog Day in Canada is held in Wiarton, Ontario and the groundhog's name is Wiarton Willie.
- Groundhog Day celebration organizers claim that predictions are accurate about 75% to 90% of the time.
- Other countries have similar spring forecast customs including Serbia (Sretenje), Germany (Siebenschlafertag), United Kingdom (St. Swithun's Day) and Alaska (Marmot Day).
- A movie was made in 1993 called ‘Groundhog Day'. It was filmed in Woodstock, Illinois but was portrayed as Punxsutawney. It was a comedy about a man reliving the same day over and over again until he became a better person.
- Groundhogs can climb trees and can swim very well.
- The groundhog is also known as a woodchuck.
- Since a groundhog hibernates for the winter, its coming out of the ground is a natural sign of spring.
- Groundhog Day folklores date back to 1886
- Ohio's official weather-predicting groundhog began his work in 1979 by an act of the state legislature.
Are you looking forward to an early Spring?