CO Safety

Toll Free: 1-800-668-2333

CO Safety

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, touch it or smell it; this is why it is often referred to as “the silent killer”. This odourless gas is produced as a by-product of combustion when common fuel burning appliances and equipment that use natural gas, oil, wood and propane, don’t get enough air to burn up completely. When this happen co can build up and can cause toxic effects. Most of these sources of CO are associated with malfunctioning fuel burning equipment and appliances along with poor venting and confined spaces such as; a furnace room, garage, cabin/cottage, tent, RV, boat, cabin or camper. 

  • Co alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and other locations required by law. 
  • Call your local fire departments non-emergency number to find out who to call if your alarm does sound.   
  • Test CO alarms once a month and replace them accordingly. 
  • If the alarm sounds, check for low batteries. If the batteries are low, change them. If it still sounds, move to fresh air and make the call to the fire department. 
  • During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow built up. 
  • Generators should always be used in a well-ventilated area away from windows and doors. 
  • Gas and charcoal grills can produce CO- only use outside. 



Recent News

Feb, 2021
Failing to properly insure your cottage or vacation property may turn out to be a rather costly, should you not be properly protected.
Sep, 2019
We at HRC Insurance thought we should inform you that you may not need this coverage and you might be able to save some money by dropping one.
Sep, 2019
Do I need Tenant Insurance for Students? As always be proactive and stay safe! Good Luck at School! Hutcheson, Reynolds & Caswell.