- Do not place heaters under desks or other enclosed areas.
- Heaters must be monitored when in operation.
- Keep all flammable items at least 3 feet from heater.
- When buying a space heater check to see if it has been tested by a nationally recognized label such as "UL" Underwriter's Laboratories Inc.
- Ensure your space heater has a "fall protection shut off" where the device will shut off if knocked over.
- Never use space heaters near water or moisture.
Fireplaces and woodstoves
- Have your chimney cleaned twice a year.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand.
- Don’t use gasoline, charcoal starter fluid or other flammable liquids to start your fire.
- Never leave young children unattended when a fire is lit.
- Store wood a safe distance away from fire to prevent spark ignition.
- Use a screen to keep logs and embers inside your fireplace.
- Replace batteries every year
- Test smoke alarms monthly
- Replace smoke alarms when they are 7 years old
- Never leave unattended
- Keep clear of all flammable material
- Make sure candles are set on a nonflammable surface or candle holder
With the cool weather already here, heating concerns are only growing. Going that extra mile can not only save your home from fires but more importantly save your family. Be warm this fall and keep these tips in mind the next time you cuddle up by the fire.
For more tips check out the link below.